CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO
DEPARTMENT OF THE ENVIRONMENT
URBAN FORESTRY COUNCIL
PLANNING & FUNDING COMMITTEE
Monday, April 2, 2012, 4:00 p.m.
City Hall, Room 421
One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Jr. Place,
San Francisco, CA 94102
COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Maria D’Agostino (Interim Chair), Dan Flanagan, Daniel Sider and Andrew Sullivan
Order of Business
- Call to Order and Roll Call. The Urban Forestry Council Planning and Funding Committee meeting convened at 4:09 p.m. Present: Chair D’Agostino, Members Flanagan, and Sider. Absent: Member Sullivan.
- Approval of Minutes of the March 5, 2012 Urban Forestry Council Planning and Funding Committee Meeting. (Explanatory Document: March 5, 2012 Draft Minutes) (Discussion and Action) Upon Motion by Chair D’Agostino, second by Member Flanagan, the March 5, 2012 Meeting Minutes were approved without objection (AYES: Chair D’Agostino, Members Flanagan and Sider; Absent: Member Sullivan).
- Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. There was no public comment at this time.
- Urban Forest Program Budget. (Explanatory Document: Written Memo by David Assmann, Deputy Director) (Information and Discussion) Chair D’Agostino reported on her discussions with Council supervisory and program staff to discuss work responsibilities and time allocations for Urban Forestry Council work. Council Coordinator Hui reported on the restructuring of her work assignment from the Department of the Environment’s Environmental Justice program to the Toxics Reduction program. Committee members discussed the decline of program funding available for Urban Forestry Council work and staffing as cited in the explanatory document. It was reported that the Council Coordinator’s allocation to urban forestry work overall is limited to twelve hours a week, and the Council Secretary’s staff time is limited to fourteen hours a month. Chair D’Agostino asked that Council Members be cognizant of the limited time that staff has assigned to the Council. Methods to regulate work would be discussed in agenda item 6.
- Update on the Press Release for the Urban Forestry Council’s 2011 Annual Report and Status of the 2011 Annual Report. (Discussion) Council Coordinator Hui reported on the release of the Urban Forestry Council’s 2011 Annual Report and submittal to the Board of Supervisors and Mayor. Chair D’Agostino reported that Committee members previously discussed points to include in the Department’s press release; however, a decision was made that the Council would issue the press release instead. Committee members discussed press release content and media structure. A working group would work on content that would be presented to the Planning and Funding Committee at its May 7 meeting for recommendation to the full Council. Coordinator Hui announced that there were corrections to the Annual Report that would be posted, but not resubmitted to the Mayor and Board of Supervisors.
- Urban Forestry Council Workflow Procedures. (Discussion) Chair D’Agostino reported that she would meet with Coordinator Hui to discuss roles and responsibilities for Urban Forestry Council workflow. A discussion was held on new Committee assignments and Chairs and the possibility of revising the meeting schedule for the Planning and Funding Committee in order to secure a fifth member or hold special meetings. Chair D’Agostino reported on staffing and work being accomplished by the three groups working on the Annual Report, Recommended Street Tree List, and Board of Supervisors meetings. Committee members were asked to be responsible for timely attendance reporting for meetings, submittal of explanatory documents for public release, and request for agenda items. It was suggested that an internal calendar be created for this purpose. Coordinator Hui reported on the upcoming meeting between selected Council members and Supervisor Campos to discuss Urban Forestry Council business. A discussion was held on Urban Forestry Council talking points for Member Flanagan to discuss with Supervisors during his meetings about Friends of the Urban Forest work.
- Urban Forestry Council Work Plan Goals. The Committee will discuss the status of last year’s Work Plan goals. (Explanatory Document: 2010 Strategic Planning Process Follow-up and Notes) (Discussion and Possible Action) The Committee discussed the correlation and fulfillment of past Urban Forestry Council goals with current goals in order to identify what items should be added to current year goals. Council Coordinator Hui and Chair D’Agostino would create a prioritized list of merged action items from past and present goals for discussion at the next Planning and Funding Committee meeting.
- Planning and Funding Committee Membership and Schedule. (Discussion) The Committee agreed to propose bylaws changes to the meeting schedule at the same time as proposed changes to the Council membership structure for the proposed GGNRA/Presidio and Redevelopment Agency seats.
- New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Discussion) Chair D’Agostino proposed a review of resources for running efficient Board meetings and lessons for Board assessment tools that she would bring to the next meeting. Member Sider reported on progress made on the Planning Department’s revisions to the administrative process for implementing street tree requirements for development projects, and that a report would be issued in the near future.
- Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. There were no members of the public present at this time.
- Adjournment. The Planning and Funding Committee meeting adjourned at 5:03 p.m.
The next Planning and Funding Committee meeting is scheduled for Monday, May 7, 2012 at 5:00 p.m., City Hall, Room 421.
Copies of explanatory documents are available to the public at the Department of Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., by clicking on the attachments with each meeting minutes posted online http://www.sfenvironment.org/about/taskforce/urban-forestry-council/agendas or upon request to the Council Secretary at the address listed above, telephone number 415-355-3709, or via e-mail at Monica.Fish@Sfgov.org.
Approved: May 7, 2012