CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO
DEPARTMENT OF THE ENVIRONMENT
URBAN FORESTRY COUNCIL
PLANNING & FUNDING COMMITTEE
Monday, May 7, 2012, 4:00 p.m.
City Hall, Room 421
One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Jr. Place,
San Francisco, CA 94102
COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Maria D’Agostino (Interim Chair), Dan Flanagan, Daniel Sider and Andrew Sullivan
Order of Business
- Call to Order and Roll Call. The Urban Forestry Council Planning and Funding Committee meeting convened at 4:06 p.m. Present: Members D’Agostino, Flanagan and Sider; Excused: Member Sullivan.
- Approval of Minutes of the April 2, 2012 Urban Forestry Council Planning and Funding Committee Meeting. (Explanatory Document: April 2, 2012 Approved Minutes) (Discussion and Action) Upon Motion by Chair D’Agostino, second by Member Sider, the April 2, 2012 Meeting Minutes were approved without objection (AYES: Members D’Agostino, Flanagan and Sider; Absent: Member Sullivan).
- Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. There was no public comment at this time.
- Update on the Press Release for the Urban Forestry Council’s 2011 Annual Report. (Continued from the April 2, 2012 Meeting)(Discussion and Possible Action) Chair D’Agostino reported that the intent is for the Annual Report working group to meet and prepare a draft press release within the next week or two for the full Council’s review and approval at the May 25 meeting. If the group is not able to meet or prepare a press release by this timeframe, the Council would be asked for their approval for the group to forward the press release directly to the press.
- Urban Forestry Council Workflow Procedures. (Continued from the April 2, 2012 Meeting) (Explanatory Document: Workflow Calendar)(Discussion) Chair D’Agostino led the discussion on Council and Committee workflow procedures discussing schedules for upcoming meetings, quorum checks, draft and final agendas, explanatory documents, and posting requirements. She discussed ways that members could efficiently report on their attendance at meetings and provide requests for agenda topics and relevant explanatory documents so that time spent by staff members and meetings are run more efficiently. She stated that the Planning and Funding Committee should serve as a mechanism for planning full Council agendas. The Workflow Calendar would be revised based on proposed revisions.
Chair D’Agostino reported that she and Members Costello and Sullivan met with Supervisor Campos to introduce Urban Forestry Council members and discuss current and future activities. She stated that he suggested that a presentation be made on the Council’s Annual Report at the Board of Supervisors Neighborhood Services Committee. Chair D’Agostino suggested that Supervisors receive a list of Council Members and their professional affiliations, areas of expertise, and district of residence. Council Members would be asked to update the list at the May 25 Council meeting. Coordinator Hui agreed to set up future meetings with Board members and inform the working group of upcoming meetings. A point person from the working group would be identified for contact purposes. Chair D’Agostino would coordinate the presentation to the Board of Supervisors Committee on the Annual Report and future Board meetings with the working group.
- Update on the Meetings with Members of the Board of Supervisors. The working group will update the Committee. (Discussion)
- Urban Forestry Council Organizational Assessment. (Explanatory Document: Organizational Assessment)(Discussion)
Committee Members discussed the idea of preparing an organizational assessment survey for Council Members to fill out with questions relevant to the Council. The Organizational Assessment document was referenced as a guide to applicable questions. Member Flanagan stated that he would share a survey that his organization uses to survey members that would be reviewed and distributed to Council members. This agenda item would be scheduled for discussion at the May 25, 2012 Urban Forestry Council meeting in order to select questions relevant to the group and would then be distributed to the group by the “survey monkey” program.
- Update on Planning and Funding Committee Membership and Schedule. (Continued from the April 2, 2012 Meeting) (Discussion) Committee members discussed the possibility of members serving on more than one Committee. It was announced that Member Sherwin or Sutherland may be interested in participating in the Planning and Funding Committee in the future or that Member Hillson could serve as a temporary member. A future discussion will be held about member interest and Committee schedule based on members’ availability for meetings.
- New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Discussion) Coordinator Hui was commended for leading a tour of San Francisco landmark trees. Future agenda topics discussed include (1) presentation by Member Buck on discussions between the Department of Public Works and California Pacific Medical Center on development plans and plans for trees; (2) how the Council can best provide recommendations on the Van Bess BRT Plan; (3) Urban Forest Master Plan presentation to the Council (June); (4) Friends of the Urban Forest presentation on street trees in San Francisco and best practices; (5) presentation by Mr. Phil Evans, Landscape Coordinator, on San Francisco State University’s Urban Forest Master Plan (December); and (6) Recreation and Park bonds (June or August).
- Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. There were no members of the public present at this time.
- Adjournment. The Planning and Funding Committee meeting adjourned at 5:29 p.m.
The next Planning and Funding Committee meeting is scheduled for Monday, June 4, 2012 at 5:00 p.m., City Hall, Room 421.
Copies of explanatory documents are available to the public at (1) the Department of Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) or at the Planning and Funding Committee’s meeting website http://www.sfenvironment.org/about/taskforce/urban-forestry-council/agendas posted with each agenda or meeting minutes, (3) upon request to the Council Secretary at the above address, telephone number 415-355-3709, or via e-mail at Monica.Fish@sfgov.org within three business days of a meeting.