URBAN FORESTRY COUNCIL
LANDMARK TREE AD HOC COMMITTEE
Special Meeting Notice and Agenda
Tuesday, May 8, 2012, 4:00 p.m.
City Hall, Room 421
One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94132
COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Rose Hillson (Chair), Chris Buck, Larry Costello, Malcolm Hillan, Megan Sutherland
Order of Business
Public Comment will be heard before the Committee takes action on any item.
- Call to Order and Roll Call.
- Approval of Minutes of the April 10, 2012 Urban Forestry Council Landmark Tree Committee Special Meeting (Explanatory Document: April 10, 2012 Draft Minutes) (Discussion and Action).
- Review of the past, existing and proposed Landmark ‘Grove’ Language in the Landmark Tree Ordinance. Committee Members will review and discuss proposed amendments to the current Landmark Tree Ordinance and review historical references to groves. (Continued from the April 10, 2012 Meeting) (Explanatory Documents: Article 16, Section 810 Landmark Tree Ordinance Proposed Amendments to Sections 802 and 810 and Department of Public Works Historical References to Groves, Ordinance Amendments) (Discussion and Possible Action)
- Review and Approval of Amendments to the Landmark Tree Nomination Form. Committee Members will review and vote to approve proposed amendments to the Landmark Tree Nomination Form made at the April 10 meeting and make recommendations to the full Council. (Explanatory Documents: Amended Landmark Tree Draft Nomination Form) (Discussion and Possible Action)
- Ideas for Marking Landmark Trees. Committee Members will discuss ideas for marking landmark trees. (Explanatory Documents: (Circular Plaque Mock-up and Meeting Minutes Summary) (Discussion)
- New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Information and Discussion)
- Public Comment: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
At this time, members of the public may address the Committee on items of interest that are within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Committee but are not on today’s agenda. Public comment will be taken following each agendized item. Each member of the public may address the Committee for up to three minutes, unless otherwise announced by the Chair. If it is demonstrated that the comments by the public will exceed 15 minutes, the Chair may continue Public Comment to another time during the meeting.
The Brown Act forbids the Committee from taking action or discussing any item or issue not appearing on the posted agenda. This rule applies to issues raised in public comment as well. In response to public comment, not on an agendized item, the Committee is limited to:
1. Briefly responding to statements made or questions posed by members of the public, or
2. Request staff to report back on a matter at a subsequent meeting, or
3. Directing staff to place the item or issue on a future agenda (Government Code Section 54954.2(a).)
The Urban Forestry Council Landmark Tree Committee meetings will be held in Room 421, City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA. The Committee meeting room is wheelchair accessible. The closest accessible BART station is the Civic Center Station at United Nations Plaza and Market Street. Accessible MUNI lines serving this location are: #42 Downtown Loop, and #71 Haight/Noriega and the F Line to Market and Van Ness and the Metro Stations at Van Ness and Market and at Civic Center. For information about MUNI accessible services call (415) 923-6142. There is accessible curbside parking adjacent to City Hall on Grove Street and Van Ness Avenue and in the vicinity of the Veterans Building at 401 Van Ness Avenue adjacent to Davies Hall and the War Memorial Complex.
The following services are available on request 48 hours prior to the meeting; except for Monday meetings, for which the deadline shall be 4:00 p.m. of the last business day of the preceding week: For American sign language interpreters or the use of a reader during a meeting, a sound enhancement system, and/or alternative formats of the agenda and minutes, please contact Monica Fish at (415) 355-3709 to make arrangements for the accommodation. Late requests will be honored, if possible.
In order to assist the City's efforts to accommodate persons with severe allergies, environmental illnesses, multiple chemical sensitivity or related disabilities, attendees at public meetings are reminded that other attendees may be sensitive to various chemical based products. Please help the City accommodate these individuals. Individuals with chemical sensitivity or related disabilities should call the Mayor’s Office on Disability at (415) 554-6789 or (415) 554-6799 (TTY) for additional information.
Know Your Rights Under the Sunshine Ordinance
(Chapter 67 of the San Francisco Administrative Code)
Government’s duty is to serve the public, reaching its decisions in full view of the public. Commissions, boards, councils, and other agencies of the City and County exist to conduct the people’s business. This ordinance assures that deliberations are conducted before the people and that City operations are open to the people’s review. For more information on your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance or to report a violation of the ordinance, contact the Sunshine Task Force Administrator, City Hall, Room 409, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA 94102-4683 at Phone No.: (415) 554-7724; Fax No.: (415) 554-7854; E-mail: email@example.com. Copies of the Sunshine Ordinance can be obtained from the Sunshine Task Force Administrator, the San Francisco Public Library and on the City’s website at www.sfgov.org.
Lobbyist Registration and Reporting Requirements
Individuals and entities that influence or attempt to influence local legislative or administrative action may be required by the San Francisco Lobbyist Ordinance [SF Campaign & Governmental Conduct Code §2.100, et. seq] to register and report lobbying activity. For more information about the Lobbyist Ordinance, please contact the Ethics Commission at: 25 Van Ness Avenue, Suite 220, San Francisco, CA 94102; telephone (415) 252-3100, fax (415) 252-3112; web site at www.sfgov.org/ethics.
Other Important Information
The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting room of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
Copies of explanatory documents are available to the public at (1) the Department of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) or when possible, on the Landmark Tree Committee agenda webpage https://sites.google.com/a/sfenvironment.org/commission/urban-forestry-council/landmark-tree-committee, (3) upon request to the Council Secretary at the above address or telephone number 415-355-3709, or via e-mail at Monica.Fish@Sfgov.org within three business days of a meeting. If any materials related to an item on this agenda have been distributed to the Landmark Tree Committee after distribution of the agenda packet, those materials are available for public inspection at the Department of the Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94102 during normal office hours or will be made available at the meeting agenda website link as links with each agenda or meeting minutes.
When bringing handouts to meetings, please photocopy on both sides of the paper and try to use post-consumer recycled or tree-free paper. Also, please bring sufficient copies of handouts for both the Commission and the public.
Monica Fish, Council Secretary
TEL: (415) 355-3709; FAX: 415-554-6393
Posted: April 20, 2012