CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO
DEPARTMENT OF THE ENVIRONMENT
URBAN FORESTRY COUNCIL
PLANNING & FUNDING COMMITTEE
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2012, 4:00 p.m.
City Hall, Room 421
One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Jr. Place
San Francisco, CA 94102
COMMITTEE MEMBERS: Maria D’Agostino (Interim Chair), Dan Flanagan, Daniel Sider, Sandy Sherwin, and Andrew Sullivan
Order of Business
Public comment will be taken before the Council takes action on any item.
- Call to Order and Roll Call. The Planning and Funding Committee meeting convened at 4:06 p.m. Present: Chair D’Agostino, Members Flanagan, Sider (4:11), Sherwin and Sullivan (4:08).
- Approval of Minutes of the July 2, 2012 Urban Forestry Council Planning and Funding Committee Rescheduled Meeting. (Explanatory Document: July 2, 2012 Draft Minutes) (Discussion and Action) Upon Motion by Chair D’Agostino, second by Member Flanagan, the July 2, 2012 Meeting Minutes were approved without objection (AYES: Chair D’Agostino, Members Flanagan and Shewin; Absent: Members Sider and Sullivan).
- Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. There were no members of the public present at this time.
- Urban Forestry Council Organizational Assessment. The Committee will review responses received from Council Members on the Organizational Assessment Survey questions. (Continued from the July 2, 2012 Meeting) (Explanatory Document: Organizational Assessment Survey Responses) (Discussion)
Committee review of Council Member responses to the organizational assessment as it relates to the Council’s goals from the previous year will be scheduled for the October 9 meeting of the Planning and Funding Committee.
- Update on the Meetings with Members of the Board of Supervisors. The working group will update the committee. (Discussion)
Committee members reported on meetings held with supervisors to date and selected supervisors to schedule meetings with in the near future. Additional meetings would be scheduled after the supervisorial election in November.
- Urban Forestry Council New Member Recruitment. (Discussion)
Council Member terms are scheduled to expire on November 18, 2012 for all Board of Supervisors and Department appointments, and one mayoral seat is due to expire in November and the other in January 2013. Council Members have holdover rights until their reappointment or another member is appointed to the seat. Member Vargas who holds the mayor’s seat had announced her intent to resign in November. A discussion was held on seat requirements, potential candidates to fill seats, and recruitment ideas. Chair D’Agostino reported that because of budget restrictions, it is not possible to fill the National Park Service seat by a Presidio Trust representative. She is awaiting further word whether a Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA) representative would be available to fill the seat. Coordinator Hui provided information on the Board of Supervisors and department head reappointment and application process.
- New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Discussion)
Chair D’Agostino proposed a discussion at the October 9 Planning and Funding Committee meeting to reduce the Council’s annual meeting schedule to six annual meetings. She suggested that the September full Council meeting be cancelled due to a lack of business and to allow for time to work on the Annual Report. Presentation topics scheduled for the full Council meeting in October include (1) the tree assessment survey prepared on the Bus Rapid Transit System plan; and (2) a potential update on the Recreation and Park Department bond measure. An additional future agenda item discussed is a presentation on San Francisco State University’s urban forestry projects.
Member Flanagan inquired whether Council Members would be interested in participating in an event sponsored by Friends of the Urban Forest on September 30 in Washington Square on the tree map. He suggested that the Planning and Funding Committee review and comment on the Draft Executive Summary prepared by AECOM on the Urban Forest Plan for financing street trees in October. Chair D’Agostino announced that Mr. Jon Swae from the Planning Department is interested in establishing an Urban Forestry Council working group to discuss the Urban Forest Plan and is considering scheduling a meeting from September 24 to September 26. Council Members would be sent an email requesting their availability to attend. Member Sherwin announced that there would an Excelsior Festival and suggested that outreach material be provided at one of the tables. Coordinator Hui suggested including the Recommended Street Tree List or Council’s Annual Report. Chair D’Agostino stated that she would review the Tree Board University next steps for a future discussion in conjunction with the Organizational Assessment.
8. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Committee on matters that are within the Committee’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda. There were no members of the public present at this time.
9. Adjournment. The Planning and Funding Committee meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.
The next Planning and Funding Committee meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, October 9, 2012, at 4:00 p.m., City Hall, Room 421.
Copies of explanatory documents are available to the public at (1) the Department of Environment, 11 Grove Street, San Francisco, California between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., (2) or at the Planning and Funding Committee’s meeting website http://www.sfenvironment.org/about/taskforce/urban-forestry-council/agendas posted with each agenda or meeting minutes, (3) upon request to the Council Secretary at the above address, telephone number 415-355-3709, or via e-mail at Monica.Fish@sfgov.org within three business days of a meeting.
Approved: October 4, 2012