Tool Kit for Compliance and Successful Participation
- Zero Waste
- Toxics & Health
- Buildings & Environments
- Education & Equity
- Climate Change
San Francisco's Mandatory Recycling and Composting Ordinance requires everyone in San Francisco to separate their discards into recyclables, compostables and landfill trash.
Commercial Property Managers and Owners Must:
- Provide information and training to tenants, employees, and contractors, including janitors, on how to separate recyclables, compostables and landfill trash.
- Provide color-coded and labeled containers for use by tenants (green for compostables, blue for recyclables, and black for landfill trash)
- Re-educate tenants, employees, and contractors at least once a year.
Setting up Recycle and Compost Service
About half of typical materials ending up in the landfill trash bin is compostable or recyclable. By separating at the source, your business can reduce your disposal costs and have a positive impact on the environment. To set up or adjust your service, contact Recology at (415) 330-1300.
How SF Environment Can Help
SF Environment offers free assistance and materials to help property managers and business owners successfully implement these programs and save money. We offer multi-lingual training for staff and managers, signs, stickers, tenant training presentation, sample letter to tenants, set-up assistance for indoor containers and other resources in order to help your business successfully comply with the Ordinance.
Technical Assistance Tool Kit
- Commercial Office Building Guidelines
- Indoor Containers and Collection Methods
- Vendors of Compostable or Recyclable Food Service Ware and Bags
- Training Presentation for Tenants and New Users
- Sample Letter for Tenants and New Users
Signs and Flyers
For additional assistance, or for hard copies of stickers, fliers or brochures, call SF Environment''s Commercial Zero Waste Team at (415) 355-3745. Below are free signs and other tools to help your program.
- Signmaker - Create your own recycling and composting signs
- Mandatory Recycling and Composting Ordinance Fact Sheet
- Recycle, Compost, and Landfill Posters
- Recycle, Compost, and Landfill Double-Sided Flier
- Compost Paper Towels Sticker for Restrooms
- Compost Paper Towels Sign for Restrooms
Additional Information for Tool Kit for Compliance and Successful Participation
San Francisco is habitat for 800,000 people – meeting needs for space to work, play, and learn; for food, water, and air; for community with local flora and fauna. SF Environment provides support for urban agriculture and forestry and green buildings, helping residents and businesses harness environmental opportunities.