CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO
COMMISSION ON THE ENVIRONMENT
NOTICE OF RESCHEDULED MEETING AND AGENDA
*TUESDAY, DECEMBER 3, 2013, 5:00 P.M.
BAYVIEW OPERA HOUSE
4705 THIRD STREET
SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94124
*The Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 5:00 p.m. Regularly Scheduled Meeting of the Commission on the Environment that was to be held at City Hall, Room 416, One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Jr. Place, San Francisco, CA 94102, was RESCHEDULED to Tuesday, December 3, 2013, 5:00 p.m. and will be held at the Bayview Opera House, 4705 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94124.
COMMISSION MEMBERS: Commissioners Joshua Arce (President); Angelo King (Vice-President), Ruth Gravanis, Nicholas Josefowitz, Heather Stephenson, Johanna Wald, Sarah Wan
ORDER OF BUSINESS
Public comment will be taken before the Commission takes action on any item.
1. Call to Order and Roll Call.
2. Introduction by Commission President Joshua Arce and Welcoming Remarks by Supervisor Malia Cohen. (Discussion)
3. Approval of Minutes of the September 24, 2013 Commission on the Environment Meeting. (Explanatory Document: September 24, 2013 Commission on the Environment Draft Minutes) (Discussion and Action)
4. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Commission on matters that are within the Commission’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
5. Outreach Presentation: Environment Now and the Bayview Zero Waste Campaign. Sponsor: Melanie Nutter, Director; Speakers: Guillermo Rodriguez, Communications and Policy Director and Keith Dews, Environment Now Program Staff (10 minutes) (Informational Presentation and Discussion)
6. Presentation on City and County of San Francisco Resilient Bayview Initiative. Sponsor: Melanie Nutter, Director; Speakers: Daniel Homsey, Director of Neighborhood Resilience, City Administrators Office and G. L. Hodge, Providence Baptist Church (10 minutes) (Informational Presentation and Discussion)
7. Presentation and Update on the Department of the Environment’s Environmental Justice Grant Program. Sponsor: Melanie Nutter, Director; Speakers: Anne Eng, Environmental Justice Program Manager, Leah Pimentel with GRID Alternatives and Jeffrey Betcher with Quesada Gardens Initiative (10 minutes) (Informational Presentation and Discussion)
8. Review and Approval of Draft Resolution 2013-13-COE Supporting a Ban on the Release of Commercially Raised Butterflies. (Explanatory Documents: Draft Resolution and Support Letters from Bay Nature and the North American Butterfly Association) Sponsor: Commissioner Gravanis; Speakers: Peter Brastow, Senior Biodiversity Coordinator, San Francisco Department of the Environment and Amber Hasselbring, Executive Director, Nature in the City (8 minutes) (Discussion and Action)
9. Discussion of Solar Policy for New Development in the City and County of San Francisco. (Explanatory Document: Draft Resolution) Sponsors: Commissioners Arce and Josefowitz; Speaker: Danielle Murray, Renewable Energy Program Manager (8 minutes)(Discussion)
10. Review and Approval of Draft Resolution 2013-15-COE to Approve Department of the Environment Recommendations for San Francisco Carbon Fund Projects. (Explanatory Documents: Request for Proposals, Draft Resolution and Funding Recommendations) Sponsor: Melanie Nutter, Director; Speaker: Shawn Rosenmoss, Senior Environmental Specialist, Development and Community Projects (15 minutes) (Discussion and Action)
11. Operations Committee Chair’s Report. Highlights of the August 14 and November 13, 2013 Meetings. (Information and Discussion)
12. Policy Committee Report. (Information and Discussion)
Chairs Report: Highlights of the October 21 Meeting and review of the Agenda for the December 9, 2013 Meeting to be held at City Hall, Room 421.
13. Commission Secretary’s Report. (Explanatory Document: Commission Secretary’s Report and Correspondence Log) (Information and Discussion)
Monica Fish, Commission Secretary
• Communications and Correspondence
• Update on City Legislation
14. Director’s Report. Updates on Department of the Environment administrative and programmatic operations relating to Budget Planning, Strategic Planning, Clean Air/Transportation, Climate, Energy, Public Outreach and Education, Environmental Justice, Habitat Restoration, Green Building, Zero Waste, Toxics Reduction, and Urban Forestry. (Explanatory Document: Director’s Report) Melanie Nutter, Director (Information and Discussion)
15. Announcements. (Information and Discussion)
16. President’s Announcements. (Information and Discussion)
17. New Business/Future Agenda Items. (Information, Discussion and Possible Action)
18. Public Comments: Members of the public may address the Commission on matters that are within the Commission’s jurisdiction and are not on today’s agenda.
The next meeting of the Commission on the Environment is scheduled for Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 5:00 p.m., City Hall, Room 416.
** Copies of explanatory documents are available at (1) the Commission’s office, 1455 Market Street, Suite 1200, San Francisco, California, 94103 between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.. Photo identification is required for access to the building. (2) on the Commission’s website http://www.sfenvironment.org/commission/agendas; (3) upon request to the Commission Secretary, at telephone number 415-355-3709, or via e-mail at Monica.Fish@sfgov.org within three business days of a meeting. If any materials related to an item on this agenda have been distributed to the Commission after distribution of the agenda packet, those materials are available for public inspection at the Department of the Environment, 1455 Market Street, Suite 1200, San Francisco, CA 94103 during normal office hours or will be made available on the Commission’s website http://www.sfenvironment.org/commission/agendas as attachments to the agenda or meeting minutes.
The ringing of and use of cell phones, pagers and similar sound-producing electronic devices are prohibited at this meeting. Please be advised that the Chair may order the removal from the meeting room of any person(s) responsible for the ringing or use of a cell phone, pager, or other similar sound-producing electronic devices.
NOTE: Persons unable to attend the meeting may submit to the Commission on the Environment, by the time the proceedings begin, written comments regarding the agenda items above. These comments will be made a part of the official public record and shall be brought to the attention of the Commission on the Environment members. Any written comments should be sent to: Commission Secretary of the Environment, 1455 Market Street, Suite 1200, San Francisco, CA 94103 by 5:00 p.m. on the day prior to the hearing. Comments that cannot be delivered to the Commission Secretary by that time may be taken directly to the hearing at the location above. When bringing handouts to meetings, please photocopy on both sides of the paper and try to use post-consumer recycled or tree-free paper. Also, please bring sufficient copies of handouts for the Commission, the Commission Secretary and the public.
At this time, members of the public may address the Commission on items of interest that are within the subject matter jurisdiction of the Commission but are not on today’s agenda. Public comment will be taken following each agendized item. Each member of the public may address the Commission for up to three minutes, unless otherwise announced by the President. If it is demonstrated that the comments by the public will exceed 15 minutes, the President may continue Public Comment to another time during the meeting.
The Brown Act forbids the Commission from taking action or discussing any item or issue not appearing on the posted agenda. This rule applies to issues raised in public comment as well. In response to public comment, not on an agendized item, the Commission is limited to:
1. Briefly responding to statements made or questions posed by members of the public, or
2. Request staff to report back on a matter at a subsequent meeting, or
3. Directing staff to place the item or issue on a future agenda (Government Code Section 54954.2(a).)
The Commission on the Environment meeting will be held at the Bayview Opera House, 4705 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94124. The Opera House is wheelchair accessible. The closest MUNI lines serving this location include the #15, 19, 23, 29, 44, 54 and T line. For information about MUNI accessible services call (415) 923-6142.
In order to assist the City's efforts to accommodate persons with severe allergies, environmental illnesses, multiple chemical sensitivity or related disabilities, attendees at public meetings are reminded that other attendees may be sensitive to various chemical based products. Please help the City accommodate these individuals. Individuals with chemical sensitivity or related disabilities should call the Mayor’s Office on Disability at (415) 554-6789 or (415) 554-6799 (TTY) for additional information.
The following services are available on request 48 hours prior to the meeting; except for Monday meetings, for which the deadline shall be 4:00 p.m. of the last business day of the preceding week: For American sign language interpreters or the use of a reader during a meeting, a sound enhancement system, and/or alternative formats of the agenda, minutes and meeting packets, please contact Monica Fish at (415) 355-3709 to make arrangements for the accommodation. Late requests will be honored, if possible.
Know your Rights under the Sunshine Ordinance
(Chapter 67 of the San Francisco Administrative Code)
Government’s duty is to serve the public, reaching its decisions in full view of the public. Commissions, boards, councils, and other agencies of the City and County exist to conduct the people’s business. This ordinance assures that deliberations are conducted before the people and that City operations are open to the people’s review. For more information on your rights under the Sunshine Ordinance or to report a violation of the ordinance, contact the Sunshine Ordinance Task Force, Sunshine Task Force Administrator, City Hall, Room 409, One Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco, CA 94102-4683 at Phone No.: (415) 554-7724; Fax No.: (415) 554-7854; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Copies of the Sunshine Ordinance can be obtained from the Clerk of the Sunshine Task Force, the San Francisco Public Library and on the City’s website at www.sfgov.org.
Lobbyist Registration and Reporting Requirements
Individuals and entities that influence or attempt to influence local legislative or administrative action may be required by the San Francisco Lobbyist Ordinance [SF Campaign & Governmental Conduct Code §2.100, et. seq] to register and report lobbying activity. For more information about the Lobbyist Ordinance, please contact the Ethics Commission at: 25 Van Ness Avenue, 2nd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94102; telephone (415) 252-3100, fax (415) 252-3112, web site at www.sfgov.org/ethics.
Monica Fish, Commission Secretary
TEL: (415) 355-3709; FAX: (415) 554-6393