Mayor Newsom Wins Green Cross Award
Mayor Newsom Wins Green Cross Award
(June 9, 2007)
GLOBAL GREEN USA CELEBRATES ENVIRONMENTAL LEADERS AT 2007 GREEN CROSS MILLENNIUM AWARDS
Irmelin DiCaprio, Mayor Gavin Newsom, Jena King, David Orr and Pierre Andrè Senizergues Honored at Event
Los Angeles (June 9th, 2007) ¬≠ Green has taken on a new glow over the past year and Global Green USA will honor some of the leaders that helped make that happen this Saturday, June 9th. They will be honored at Global Green USA's 11th Annual Green Cross Millennium Awards event held this year at the Ritz Carlton in Marina del Ray.
The Green Cross Millennium Awards were established in 1996 to recognize and herald those whose lives and livelihood embody Global Green USA's mission of "fostering a global value shift toward a more sustainable and secure world."
"We have entered an exciting new time in the environmental movement-- people are paying attention and ready to act. The individuals we are honoring today have played an important role in making that change," said Matt Peterson, president and CEO of Global Green, "These leaders may work within the political, entertainment, corporate, philanthropic and academic fields, but they've been important activists in fostering the value shift towards a safer more sustainable future."
The evening will feature Global Green USA's diverse 2007 award recipients, representing a broad range of environmental action and leadership:
* Irmelin DiCaprio--Community Environmental Leadership--Irmelin works behind the scenes to create a stronger environmental community--locally and across geographical and other lines--by supporting environmental organizations, individuals, and initiatives as well as connecting people, resources and ideas. Irmelin shepherds support for groups through the Foundation's grants and support of events and works tirelessly to create a stronger environmental community in Los Angeles and beyond. Irmelin is also an Executive Producer of The 11th Hour, having helped shepherd the project from its inception.
* Jena King--Entertainment Industry Environmental Leadership--Jena is a philanthropist who oversees the Jena and Michael King Foundation, helping support numerous causes championing children and the environment. Jena is a founding member of C.O.A.C.H. for Kids, an organization that provides medical assistance to underprivileged children. She is on the Boards of University Elementary School (UES) and the Environmental Media Association. She is also a dedicated board member of Healthy Child, Healthy World. Jena works behind the scenes to support green organizations, fight against environmental transgressions, and support environmental candidates for office.
* The Honorable Gavin Newsom-- California Environmental Leadership-- City of San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom has been the most outspoken Mayor in California for the need for our federal government to act on climate change. Mayor Newsom has used his position to focus international attention on the threat of climate change by hosting UN World Environment Day in 2005, joined 400 other mayors in signing the US Mayors Climate Protection Agreement, and recently, created a business campus to attract green businesses to the city. Mayor Newsom and the City of SF partnered with Global Green USA to apply stringent green standards for affordable housing in San Francisco.
* David W. Orr--Individual Environmental Leadership--David is the Paul Sears Distinguished Professor of Environmental Studies and Politics and Chair of the Environmental Studies Program at Oberlin College. David is perhaps best known for his work on environmental literacy in higher education--helping spark the green campus movement--and his work in ecological design. He is the author of five books and more than 120 articles, and has received numerous awards for his pioneering work. David is a frequent keynote speaker at environmental conferences and symposia, and has lectured at hundreds of colleges and universities throughout the U.S. David was a member of the design jury--chaired by Brad Pitt--for Global Green USA's 2006 Sustainable Design Competition for New Orleans.
* Pierre Andrè Senizergues--Corporate Environmental Leadership--Pierre is CEO and founder of Sole Technology and Etnies, the largest and fastest growing privately held action sportswear company. Pierre has set an example for his peers in business and media by greening his company through greening his headquarters with energy efficiency, solar power, and employee led greening initiatives including recycling, car pooling, and other measures. Additionally, Pierre is working hard to reduce the environmental impact of his manufacturing processes by moving to water based glues and creating a green line of clothing and shoes. Pierre speaks out to his peers, media and customers about the need to act to protect the environment. Through his efforts his company is becoming a sustainable and even restorative enterprise. Pierre was a member of the design jury--chaired by Brad Pitt--for Global Green USA's 2006 Sustainable Design Competition for New Orleans.
Past recipients of Millennium Awards include Ted Turner, Leonardo DiCaprio, Pierce Brosnan, Kevin Bacon & Kyra Sedgwick, Woody Harrelson, Julia Louis Dreyfus, National Geographic, Ray Anderson (Founder of Interface), Paul Hawken, David Orr, Winona LaDuke and many many more (see the entire list at www.globalgreen.org)
Global Green USA, is headquartered in Los Angeles with offices in Washington D.C. and San Francisco, is the U.S. arm of Green Cross International, founded by Mikhail Gorbachev in 1993.Global Green USA and Green Cross International are combating three of the greatest challenges facing humanity -- weapons of mass destruction, lack of clean water, and global warming -- via targeted community projects, smart policy solutions and public education.
San Francisco is habitat for 800,000 people – meeting needs for space to work, play, and learn; for food, water, and air; for community with local flora and fauna. SF Environment provides support for urban agriculture and forestry and green buildings, helping residents and businesses harness environmental opportunities.