Bees and other pollinators and insects in general are declining. Pollinators (bees, birds, butterflies and bats) are necessary for the health of our food crops, and insects - after plants - are the foundation of our natural ecosystems.
Bee-curious? Bird watcher?
Learn about how your neighbors are supporting bees and other pollinators:
- Find the Wild and visit pollinator gardens & habitats.
- Volunteer at a habitat restoration project or community garden (RPD).
- Learn about pollinators (FAQS) and gardening with native plants (FAQS)
- Learn more about native plants and how you can Grow the Wild.
- Get more pollinator resources, and learn about species in the neighborhoods.
Pollinators and insects in general are experiencing extreme stress, not only through large-scale loss of their native habitats, but also through the application of systemic pesticides. San Franciscans can play a role in helping pollinators and promoting healthy ecosystems by installing pollinator-friendly gardens that are less toxic, use less water and promote biodiversity.
Green thumb? Starting a garden?
If you're starting or redoing a garden, or growing a potted plant, you can grow food and habitat to support local pollinators.
- Learn how to safely care for plants and pollinators.
- Visit a bee-friendly plant nursery to learn more and select your local plants.
- Use the SF Plant Finder to choose pollinator plants to build habitat in your neighborhood.
- Learn about Bay Friendly Landscaping (ReScape California) and sustainable gardening principles.
- Use the Blue Greenway Restoration and Revegetation Guidelines if you live and/or are doing a project in or near Southeast San Francisco.
San Francisco is located in a global biodiversity hotspot.
Protect the Pollinators Flyer (PDF)
Nature in San Francisco
San Francisco Carbon Fund
Climate Action: ROOTS
Bee City USA Designation (SF Board of Supervisors)
Urban Greening Areas Report (PDF)
To Save Local Bees, San Francisco to Make Pollinator Protection City Policy
Para salvar a las abejas locales, San Francisco hará que sea política de la Ciudad proteger a los polinizadores (PDF)
San Francisco Supervisors to pass bill to protect bees, KRON 4, Sept. 12, 2016
Learn more about Bee City USA!