Every business in San Francisco is required to properly separate out their recyclables, compostables, and trash.
Property owners/managers must provide:
- Color-coded, labeled bins in convenient locations: blue for recycling, green for composting, and black for trash
- Education on what goes in each bin must be provided to tenants, employees, contractors, and janitors
Food vendors that provide disposable food service ware or to-go containers must:
- Provide color-coded, labeled bins for use by customers and visitors
- Place bins near a main exit in the establishment
Apartment property owners:
- Request apartment starter kits and kitchen pails for tenants through Recology at 415-330-1300.
- Property Manager Toolkit for Apartment and Multifamily Properties
Helpful forms and documents
For help setting up refuse collection service and other assistance, call Recology at (415) 330-1300.